My dad and oldest brother Jason visited last month. It was Jason’s first time to Africa and Dad’s fourth (he’s such a good sport for letting me drag him around every country in which I live). Here are some of the highlights of the trip:
- First experience with “take advantage of the tourists” at the Johannesburg airport
- My first time hosting Thanksgiving dinner with a little assistance from Dad to prepare the turkey
- Shopping …. lots of shopping. No one leaves Africa without some super cool gifts
- Safaris …. so many safaris. Lots of animals. The Big 5 and half of the Little 5 (can you name the Little 5 in the comments section?)
- And that one safari where Jason got drenched. He’s laughing about it now but at the time …..
- The fascinating lives of dung beetles and weaver birds …. the ladies rule in those households!
- Taking photos of animal poop. Thanks, Max, for the suggestion
- The GoPro. Best selfie photo taker ever.
- The 24 hour bug … a trip to Africa is never complete without someone getting violently ill for 24 hours
- Extreme 19th golf shot from the top of a mountain. Dad double-bogied with a score of 5. Lucky shot?
- The guys meet my guy, Dionisio
- Near-hijack situation in Johannesburg. Kudos to Jason for his quick reflexes in the driver’s seat
- Food …. so much food. South Africans are known for the hospitality industry. These lodges and hotels serve delicious food. 24/7.
- Weird food too …. pizza, McDonald’s, kudu, warthog, worms
- The Magnificent Victoria Falls … no wonder its one of the 7 Wonders
- Riding an elephant
- Walking with lions (who would do that?)
It was the trip of a lifetime. Many many thanks to my Dad for such an amazing opportunity.
Instead of posting photos to the blog, I’m sharing the digital version of the super cool coffee table book we made with all of our photos. Between the 3 of us, we had more than 3,000 photos and videos. I widdled it down to a couple hundred (no easy task). Obviously, this book is way better if you’re holding it in your hands. There are only 3 editions in print. You know where to find them ….
I will insert a plug here for MyPublisher where we printed the book. They are awesome! High quality books, easy to use software, and great customer service.